Ocean Rodeo & Aluula: Revolutionizing The Windsports Industry
by Wingsurfing Magazine
At the 2024 AWSI trade show in Hood River, we had the privilege of getting an in-depth look at the innovations in kite and wing technology brought to the forefront by Richard Myerscough, the CEO of Aluula and Ocean Rodeo.
1. Eco-Friendly Approach: Myerscough unveiled the new Double A series Glide Wing, which has a game-changing feature for the kitesurfing industry: it is entirely recycle-ready. Until now, 15% of kite or wing manufacturing typically resulted in landfill waste. With their new system, that waste is recycled and put into a new fiberboard product, setting a new eco-friendly benchmark.
2. Lighter and Stronger: Aeris X, the material featured on the airframe, incorporates ultra-high molecular weight fibers. The result is the stiffest material produced by the company, yet impressively, also recyclable. Compared to other materials, Aeris X offers superior tear and UV resistance. This commitment to stronger, lighter materials extends throughout their line-up, with weight savings that Myerscough rightly describes as “phenomenal.”
3. Advanced Construction: Ocean Rodeo and Aluula have reimagined kite and wing construction, introducing radial cuts that align with the warp and weft fibers of the materials. The use of DuraLight, known as the world’s strongest material, adds robustness, especially in areas prone to wear and abrasion, such as around the handles.
4. Improved Handles: Responding to user feedback, the new 43 cm handle, with its Eva grip and slimmer design, provides a more comfortable and non-slippery grip.
5. Performance on the Race Course: Their design’s competitive edge is evident with Mathis Geo, a two-time world champion, favoring their Glide wing. The blend of higher aspect, lightweight materials, and efficient design ensures these wings offer unmatched speed and control, especially on the race course.
6. Adjustable PSI: The stiffness of the material means riders can adjust the PSI according to wind conditions, offering an even broader wind range for each wing. This adaptability means fewer wings are needed to cover a range of conditions, translating to cost savings in the long run.
7. A Glimpse of the Future: With these advancements, it’s clear that the kitesurfing industry is on the brink of significant transformation. Myerscough’s dedication to innovation, sustainability, and performance underscores a promising future for kitesurfers everywhere.
Conclusion: From environmental responsibility to performance on the race course, Ocean Rodeo and Aluula are setting new standards. With these groundbreaking innovations, the future of kitesurfing and wing surfing is not just exciting, but sustainable too.
More From This Category
CORE expands its wingfoil program with a progressive wingboard in…
With Dave…Tyburski! Facebook Comments Box
Brandon Scheid walks us through the gear. Facebook Comments Box
The best kitesurfing and wing foiling pump ever? It sure…